It all started waaaay back in 9th grade when I was shopping with my mom at our local Michaels. As we perused the aisles, I happened to notice a flyer advertising 'Wilton's Intro Course in Cake Decorating."
It was just 8:00-9:30ish on Monday nights (I think. . . . somewhere around that time, anyway) so not so bad. After the first lesson (which seemed to go SO SLOWLY) I went home and in a few days, had finished going through the entire book. I just couldn't wait until the next lesson - I had to learn everything now. And as I was elbow deep in powdered sugar, tasting cake batter, and piping shells and stars, I realized - I was happy. Totally, absolutely blissful.
One night many years later, I was in our kitchen at school putting pan after pan of cookies into our giant convection oven. (I go to culinary school, in case y'all didn't know.)
And all of the sudden, that feeling came over me again. Not the kind of happy when it's your birthday, or even when there's 7 inches of snow that's perfect for sledding. A deep-in-your-heart-and-soul happy. That utter sense of belonging and peace you get when you're doing that special something you're good at, that thing that makes you YOU.
I walked around the rest of the night with this huge grin on my face.
So between 9th grade and now, I've made many cakes. Some that I loved, some that I hated. Some I hated so much that I didn't take pictures or let anybody eat them - I just threw them away in disgust.
Yes, I can be a little melodramatic at times. But it makes life more exciting.
So I've decided to show y'all some of those cakes. . . . . .starting with the cake which, at the time, I was inordinately proud of.
I mean, it took me HOURS to pipe all the little bitty stars all over it and place the sprinkles on with tweezers.
I thought I was so awesome. Lol.
This next cake was my very first attempt at fondant roses. Look how fat and chunky they are - eeewwww.
Since the fondant roses were an epic fail, I moved on to royal icing flowers - and those looked better, so I went with those.
These cakes were for a wedding - an addition to the big cake, since there were a lot of guests.
Nobody even touched them. :(
And this cake was my first attempt at fondant - I was ecstatic with how it turned out.
And then these cakes came afterward, staggered over the months - I don't have picture of every cake I've ever done. . . . .kinda wish I did.
This was for a little boy who is ALL about sheriffs - he even wears his badge to church, and dreams about having a 'shewiffs cah wif a siren on top'. He's only 4.
On this one, I had to come up with a cake that was anniversary/returning-home-from-the-army themed. And she wanted camouflage and flowers - so this is what I came up with. Kinda works, dontcha think?
Atlanta Braves cake with Chipper Jone's jersey number and signature for a coworker's husband's birthday.
And if you look at the previous posts, you'll see the X-box cake, the piano cake, and the wedding cake. I have some wedding cakes scheduled months and years away, and some birthday cakes scheduled soon - I'll be posting pics of those when I'm done.
And I know it's a Monday - but just try to make the best of it.
See y'all later.




No comments:
Post a Comment